[clue] [ADMIN] More Odds and end's 2012m01d23

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Tue Jan 24 08:57:45 MST 2012

Comments below.

----- YES NOPE9 <yes at nope9.com> wrote: -----

<...snipped...>

> #2 I am very excited about what Dan Kuluinski has proposed.
> drupal.kulinski.net I would like to form a group that wants to work on
> adding lots of features to the CLUE website. This can be an
> alternative site that links to the current lame site. They can
> co-exist. We had such a website dev group before and from my
> perspective certain people restricted the group to the extent it died.
> So I propose that interested parties figure out how to meet and
> support Dan K. Don't bother to join in if what you want to do is stick
> with what CLUE has. We can keep the old flooba intact and also have
> some new stuff.

There "was" (perhaps still "is"?) a CLUE web site dev group a year+ ago.  They also had access to multiple Drupal sandboxes.  Yet a year later...hmmm, seems the site is still "the same" as a year+ ago.  There was some movement in thought and idea, but lack of movement in action in the end (in a nutshell).  Yet the same remarks (or complaints) still exist.

Point is this idea did not work then as the lack of any progress or a new CLUE web site is quite evident.  What changes (preferably improvements and positive forward oriented) would be done as not to repeat the above noted issue?  Time is a valuable commodity for most, therefore it should not be wasted.  Some with finances and money.

> #3 I don't think CLUE needs a president. I think it needs someone to
> hold the club money. Any member should be able to give themselves a
> title and arrange for classes , seminars , presentations,
> installfests, hack-fests , inventor-fests, etc. Anything they want.
> CLUE can have a projector ( wherever that is ) , experimenter boards
> like RaspberryPi / Guruplug / , inventor tools, ..... whatever. The
> website should allow any member to contribute information , schedule a
> meeting, add features to the club. If someone wants to try to make
> money off CLUE... that is okay with me... I won't invest energy in
> that.

(Pardon the world political parallels in advance.)
No leadership leads eventually to a chaos state (aka anarchy).  Take what has happened over the past year in the Middle East portion of the world such as Egypt, Libya, and so on and so forth.  Some change (hopefully for the better), but still to early to tell what may or may not happen.  We have however seen a bit of chaos from those events, and still their situation is not "settled" for the most part.

Hence my prior remarks about CLUE should have a formal structure or entity.  Most formal entities in the State of Colorado require a President and Secretary (or similar) position.

> #4 I will be looking for a way for CLUE to accept large donations that
> can be written off. Perhaps some kind of alliance with a 501C3
> organization.

See above.  In order to be a 501(c)3 there needs to be an formal entity. Review the Mailman archives on CLUE-Admin about this since the major down site was the costs involved including annual taxes and filings.  If folks wish to do this, a budget analysis should be done so that all angles are reviewed and considered before moving in any direction if at all (reference above remark on CLUE's web site dev group).

FWIW and my $0.02.

--- Crawford
PS: I receive this list in Digest format so pardon any delays to responding in advance.

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court
Westminster, CO 80031 USA
voice:  +1.303.604.2550
web:    http://www.linux-etc.com

Please do not print this email unless it is absolutely necessary.  Be friendly to the environment by saving paper.