[clue] Electronic medical/health records (was: July meeting.)

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Wed Jul 4 12:56:17 MDT 2012

Dave and company:

Take a look at VistA which is developed and used by the VA (Vetrans Administration) Hospital system.  It is under FOIA, so the general code base is free both ways (as in "free beer" and "free speech").  It will install on Linux using GT.M as the "middleware" since VistA was and is written in MUMPS or M (for short).  The client side software is CPRS which is Microsoft Windows based written in Delphi, however there is some movement on web based interfaces as well.  With Dave being military (Navy IIRC) as well, I suspect his records are on file and securely kept too. ;-)

There is the WorldVistA Community (http://www.worldvista.org) which centers around installing, using, supporting, so on and so forth of it.  However, I would recommend contacting VistA Expertise Network ("VEN", http://www.vistaexpertise.net) out of Seattle, WA since they have some of the original core developers on their board and staff.  VEN is also a Linux ETC corporate partner for reference, though I would not pitch them out nor have Linux ETC partner with them if they did not have "the bark and bite". ;-)

Side note for those wanting more details and even some "hands on" experience, VEN is having a technical conference and training expo in Seattle, WA in mid-September.  The email flyers went out yesterday ironically enough.  Per memory it will be at University of Washington.

HTH.

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court
Westminster, CO 80031 USA
voice:  +1.303.604.2550
web:    http://www.linux-etc.com

Please do not print this email unless it is absolutely necessary.  Be friendly to the environment by saving paper.