[clue] Comments on Base Install Packages (Centos 6.2)

Jug Knot jugknot at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 08:10:20 MDT 2012

List -

I've posted a few 'Bang Head Here' notices over the past few weeks as I
continue to test drive Centos 6.2 installations on a KVM (virtualized)
platform.
Lots of lessons learned so far, with no real setbacks (just remove a KVM
instance and start over).  I'd like some feedback on a few generalized
observations
given here -

1. A Good Description of the Base Packages installation software is given
here<http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/20379/centos-6-default-installation-options>
.

2. My current objective is to install a WordPress Server (Network
Administration/Multisite platform)
<http://codex.wordpress.org/Network_Admin>that allows for multiple
WordPress websites to be tested.

3. My 'minimum requirements' include a Desktop/GUI interface, basic LAMP
functionality.  This seems simple (it is not!)

4. The most 'successful' test I've run is with a LiveCD ISO which gives a
scaled down version of what I'm looking for.

5. Multiple attempts with the 'Base Package' install have drained the
ExCedrin Bottle.  If I choose to 'Install Desktop' then the GUI works
fine.  Repeated
   attempts to 'yum install mysql mysql-server, php-mysql' or variations
(add SW packages from Admin Tools) invariably lead to #$%^& like
   'Denied access to 'root' (or '')@ 'localhost'.   Countless web postings
with step-by-step instructions on 'MySql' install are mind-numbing and
ineffective.
   Advice like 'run mysqladmin.....' fail because the privileges aren't set
right at installation.  Running 'mysqld-safe with --skip-grant-tables' is
not a solution, etc.

6. Yesterday, I tried a different route --> Install Database Server.   This
yielded a functioning MySql environment.  Simple attempts to install the
GUI like
    'yum groupinstall Desktop' or 'yum groupinstall X11' failed repeatedly.

7. My HW/SW vendor swears by a 'Install Minimum' base image and adding all
required SW thru the Admin menus.

Flame off.  Advice welcome.

Tim