[clue] nuts and bolts, self-hosting on a $40 computer: my server

edv ezedtheamerican at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 10:06:24 MDT 2012

To be honest, the thread was mostly a stab in the face.
But, I am open to critique on the setup and suggestions on what to improve
upon package wise for security.
I have php, ruby, python, and perl on the apache server ready to go.
As far as fail2ban goes I can check the logs right?
Maybe when I get into it and read what the error/warning messages are I can
post something that means something?
As it is right now I just briefly looked at the error messages and moved on to
install the other packages( I don't even remeber what the messages were..).
Cloning lvms is new to me so I will have to read up on it, any reference links
welcome.
And, from what I know, it is possible to run virtual machines as servers with
a dynamic IP because I have done it.
So basically I am looking for suggestions on packages that will improve the
seecutiry of the web and email side if I haven't covered them with what I
mentioned ( fail2ban, spamassasin, clamav, mod-evasive ).
I need to research more, this I know but heck I look forward to the hard work
and payoff, which is hosting business websites.
I need to work on a few things before I get my ports forwarded, this I know,
but at the same time I figured I would talk about it because it was suggested
I talk about it and I felt the time was neccessary.
And when the ports get forwarded I will solicit for people to view the web
pages created by the web page engine I have been working on a very long time.
but, first things first: get the server up so that it doesn't die, get my code
copyrighten, and then advertise my webspace and web pages.
:)
ed.