[clue] clue Digest, Vol 14, Issue 5

Paul B witchbutter at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 13:22:20 MST 2012

I have been using FreeNAS 8 for about 6 months, and I like it a great
deal.  I have it running backups and rsync from multiple OS and I can
verify that the current version with updated Netatalk packages runs time
machine for Lion machines without issue.  I also have it sharing out an
itunes library and running multiple automated snapshots.  My primary
attraction was OS interoperability as a backup solution.  For the data that
is backed up from this device I map the volume using a separate pc and burn
multiple BD-Rs.

At first I used it with a 3ware 9650SE which will worked well, but I
discovered that RAIDZ  using the regular SATA II plugs on the board gave me
more than enough performance.   I am using a Core 2 Quad Q9550 and a
SuperMicro MBD-X7SBL-LN1-O with 8Gb memory.  When you use ZFS and if you
read the details on FreeNAS.org you will see that you need a lot of memory
even though the processor usage is fairly low.  My system stays with at
least 6GB allocated at all times.  Thus far I have had to add/remove
physical drives once, and it was fairly easy.  I like the idea that I'm not
dependent on a 3ware card to recover if for some reason the card fails
rather than drives.  Also I did put the FreeNAS OS on a microcenter 2GB
thumbdrive.  The beauty of this is you can completely reinstall, and
reconnect to your volumes without having to touch the main disks.  I've
done this 3 times (due to starting out with a beta version and updating)
and every time was easy.

FreeNAS will let you either set the card to JBOD and use all the drives in
RAIDZ or you can present the whole raid volume to it and have it run on
that.  I use it only for data storage and FTP.  You can also create a
vmware datastore or iscsi target, or simply map a volume to a linux box,
but I did not use these features.