[clue] File Server - URAID or FREENAS

Tom Martin toms_jeep at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 1 13:34:36 MST 2012

Sorry about that this is kind of new to me.
Which FileServer software do you like between Unraid and FreeNAS? I looked at 2 or 3 others sorry don't remember the names off hand.

This is being installed on a USB drive on a file server, so the OS in on USB and memory. ALL drives are set up in a raid 50 configuration. With the 3Ware set-up done during boot you can set up and configure raid. I guess that would be Raid on Firmware. The 3Ware card did not allow the UnRaid to see the drives.

Yes I have 2 dedicated 3U rack mount file servers, both set up the exact same same everything including 12 drives each. Plus I have two older Dell 1600 Xeon servers that I will be setting up with ????? not sure yet. I am starting to look at Debian, FreeBSD, RedHat, CentOS, Apache. Along with Sorry (Windows Server 2003)... This is really a Test Lab I am building in my basement to learn on, Mixing Windows along with Linux.

The second file server will be set up to back up my home computer files, movies and music archives, those computers are all currently running windows XP. I likes the FreeNAS because arfter plugging in the USB drive (4GB) and booting the computer it was up and could be seen on the network in less than 1/2 hour.

Sorry I was not clear on my questions, I may have missed one to......
Thanks