[clue] Forward - Restricted Boot Message

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Mar 1 22:07:52 MST 2012

M Paul Webb wrote:
> I'm forwarding  this message I received today as an update on the Windows 8 Secure Boot
> situation. I was wondering what you all thought about the status of things now on this issue.

There's very good technical info in Matt Garrett's blog, starting back in September.

http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/

You should at least read the 12 Feb entry.

There are good reasons why you might want secure boot, but like PKI it's easier if you have a large,
centrally controlled organization.

I suspect that at this point the threat that secure boot counters is relatively small.  But if
people make progress blocking other vulnerabilities this might become the most easily available.

Hopefully someone will make a firmware that supports easily installed keys, then we can buy that the
way we used to buy non-winmodems.  Seems like there was an open BIOS project but I don't know of any
open implementations of UEFI.