[clue] Computer purchase 2 questions

Jon "maddog" Hall maddog at li.org
Sat Mar 3 10:12:19 MST 2012

Hi Gus,

> 2)
> Are there new desk top computers that are very small and portable,
> approaching the portability of a laptop?
> I googled for this, but did not find results, wrong word choice, maybe.

You may want to look at "shuttle" computers.  These are typically
favored by gamers who want more power/memory/disk space than a notebook
typically supplies, or wish to configure their own system.

http://us.shuttle.com/

is one supplier.

Certain models even have handles for carrying, but some of the handles
are pretty flimsy, so I would still put my arms around it.

You pay a bit more for "shuttles", since they are specialized systems,
and of course you still need a monitor, keyboard, etc. so whether you
consider them "approaching the portability of a laptop" is in the eye of
the beholder.

md

--
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux International(R)

Board Member: Uniforum Association
Board Member Emeritus: USENIX Association (2000-2006)

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several
countries.
(R)Linux International is a registered trademark in the USA used
pursuant
   to a license from Linux Mark Institute, authorized licensor of Linus
   Torvalds, owner of the Linux trademark on a worldwide basis
(R)UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the USA and other
   countries.