[clue] NTFS logical structure corruption?

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Wed Mar 7 06:14:10 MST 2012

Hi Dave,

Interesting problem. Too bad there's not a NTFS utility like debuge2fs
that lets you dig into the filesystem internals. I've used debuge2fs to
figure out and fix filesystem problems that I never would have solved
without it. As an aside I don't think I would let someone who doesn't
know what an NTFS filesystem is work on it. :) Trying to use dd is never
going to work. In your case you have 2 possibilities:

1. The filesystem data structures themselves are corrupt
2. The filesystem data structures are fine and not in need of repair or
anything, but you lack the tools to make the changes you want to make to
these particular data structures.

I assume you've done CHKDSK C: /F and rebooted, and you've also tried
all of the other likely CHKDSK options? I'm guessing that the 2nd
possibility is likely the case if CHKDSK says the disk is fine. If you
boot the machine from a Windows XP CD and enter the recovery console,
can you delete the file? If you fire up Norton Ghost does it complain
about NTFS filesystem errors on the volume? I remember a long time ago
seeing some POSIX utilities for Windows NT that would let you create and
manipulate hard links and the filesystem in a way that you could never
do using the dos-ey tools. Also there were some command line utilites
like CACLS.EXE that would let you manipulate the ACLs from the command
line. Can you find a version of WINFILE.EXE (the old Windows NT file
manager) from Windows NT 3.51 or whatever the last version that had
WINFILE.EXE, and see how it works with your filesystem and manipulating
these files/directories? Sometimes I've managed to get things done using
WINFILE.EXE where the normal EXPLORER and other tools don't work.

Really the best suggestion I have for you is to ghost the machine, and
then using Ghost Explorer or some image manipulation utility, remove the
offending files/folders from the image file, and then ghost the modified
image back to the machine. This will fix your NTFS filesystem and data
structures and get rid of the files you don't want, while leaving the
rest of the system more or less intact. However I expect that if the
filesystem is corrupt, then Ghost will complain about it and maybe
refuse to work with your filesystem.

There are some open source alternatives to Ghost, the reason I mention
Ghost is because it's had really good NTFS support just about from the
beginning.

Hope this helps,
Jim
--