[clue] [tech] reliable multicore/multi-CPU builds of OpenWRT

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Sat Mar 10 16:26:04 MST 2012

Hi CLUEbies,

Have any of you figured out a way to reliably build OpenWRT on a
multiprocessor system?  I get weird build failures if I have more than
one make job running.  That is, make -j2 or higher gets weird build
errors like this:

make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/build/router/v10/backfire/package/mmc_over_gpio'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/build/router/v10/backfire'
make[1]: ***
[/home/build/router/v10/backfire/staging_dir/target-armeb_v5te_uClibc-0.9.30.1_eabi/stamp/.package_compile]
Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/build/router/v10/backfire'
make: *** [world] Error 2

If I restart the build then it proceeds past this point and then fails
the same way soon afterward on a different package.  I want to run with
make -j4 on an Athlon X4. This forum posting makes it seem like the
OpenWRT build system and environment is not set up for multiprocessor
builds:
> https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=28564
I was just hoping someone out there had figured out some way or had some
idea how to get this to work...?  The build takes a really long time
with just one CPU.

Thanks,
Jim

--