[clue] revisiting boot partition and LVM + grub

Mon Mar 12 16:29:18 MDT 2012

So, my recommendation, held and taught lo these many long years, remains intact.

And this is it:

For /boot, create a fully normal 256MB partition at the head of your first disk type device. If your first disk type device isn't a hardware RAID0 volume, and even if it is, backup the /boot device's filesystem somewhere, regularly. In any case, backup the first few MB of your first disc type device somewhere, regularly.

Examples of commands you might use to do those backups:

    dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/net/nas/my/server-boot-part.dd
    dd if=/dev/sda of=/net/nas/my/server-first-4MB.dd bs=4M count=1

Every boot is probably often enough, if you reboot when you change your kernel or initrd, which makes /etc/rc.local a fair place from which to call the job. If every boot is not often enough for you, drop the job in /etc/cron.monthly, instead.

Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast
RHCE Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 Ubuntu
Mobile 720-333-LANS(5267)

This is a good time for a r3volution.