[clue] Budding SW Engineers

Raymond DeRoo rderoo at deroo.net
Mon May 7 12:10:59 MDT 2012

David:

> I can't count the number of times I've been asked, "What is the best programming language? Which one should I learn first?"
>
> Learn them all, but start with Python, because it's easy, fun, and highly capable out-of-the box.

And one of few where indentation matters. :)

> Next, if you want to get further away from the OS, go Java. If you want to get closer to the OS, go bash.

I think Java or C, bash isn't a programming language and is further from the OS than Java. ( even taking into account the JVM )

> And enough JavaScript and perl to get by on.

I would have to say the JavaScript is an absolute must unless that have no desire to write Internet related code. So many technologies today are making use of javascript ( node.js, mongodb, html5, etc ) that anyone not learning JavaScript today is doing themselves a huge disservice.

Cheers,
Raymond