[clue] Budding SW Engineers

Richard Knechtel richard.knechtel at gmail.com
Wed May 9 08:13:02 MDT 2012

I think starting with an scripting language is a good start. Personally I
hate JavaScript with a passion - but unfortunately it's a necessary evil.
Having helped build some very huge E-Commerce sites - you have to use it.
Now with HTML 5 it will become more important. I think looking at things
like JQuery or Dojo shows what you can do with JavaScript and CSS. Having
used Dojo to build some nice corporate web applications you can do a lot
with JavaScript.  I'm learning JQuery now as I think it's a little more
"lightweight" than Dojo.

Being a Java programmer now for about 10 years I think 'C' is probably the
best of the higher level languages to start with. That is what I started
with on the Commodore Amiga (along with some Assembly) (still have my Amiga
- great system - before it's time). With all the stuff going on with
Oracle/Google - there are some scary things happening there. Granted what
the EU did was a GREAT start. But, this is the U.S. and our court system
isn't known for being the most intelligent. I myself have started brushing
up on my 'C' as a fall back in case this thing goes sideways. Granted Java
isn't to difficult to learn really as long as you understand OO concepts.
I'm sure there are .NET folks that think it's the most awesome - I've
worked in it (C# and VB .NET) - don't like it. I helped beta test the early
versions of VS .NET (as a VB programmer at the time) - wasn't impressed. I
still prefer VB 6 over the VB .NET.

Oracle v. Google and the Dangerous Implications of Treating APIs as
Copyrightable
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/05/oracle-v-google-and-dangerous-implications-treating-apis-copyrightable

EU Court of Justice: No Copyright on Computer Functionality or Computer
Languages

>From the Courtroom: Oracle v. Google, Day 1 of Patent Phase ~pj - Updated
7Xs- Partial Verdict; Oracle Wins Nothing That Matters

About Compatibility and Fragmentation of Java (Oracle v. Google)