[clue] IRC or Jabber server.

Chris Fedde chris at fedde.us
Sun May 13 22:39:50 MDT 2012

Openfire is a pretty easy cross platform jabber server with lots of
good features. We use it at work.

http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/index.jsp

Most of the irc networks I use outside of work use hybrid.  This
server is very configurable and pretty secure.

Both are accessible by a wide range of clients. including pidgin and empathy.

To my way of thinking it comes down to a chocolate/vanilla question.