[clue] Minimum CPU for CentOS

Darrin Goodman darrin.goodman at gmail.com
Wed May 16 12:30:31 MDT 2012

> What is the minimum CPU speed and computer specs to run Ubunto, CentOS or
Deban Server with?

Hi Tom,

Most likely, fewer system resources would be required when running a server
distro that has no graphical environment, such as Debian or Ubuntu Server
Edition, than if you were running a distro with a graphical interface.  I
believe that CentOS installs Gnome by default, but maybe there is an option
to install it without a GUI, I'm not sure.

A few years back, I installed Ubuntu Server Edition on an old Compaq PIII
1U server and it ran as fast as could be expected.  I don't recall for sure
but I think that it only had 512MB of RAM.  Dual SCSI drives; one spins at
10,000 rpm and the other at 15,000 rpm.  It's been a while since I have
fired up this machine.

-Darrin