[clue] Easy Wireless Installation

M Paul Webb hsechmvt at yahoo.com
Wed May 16 13:03:37 MDT 2012

I use Thinkpad laptops, not because they are such great computers, but because the old keyboards are the best ever made. I can write without my unconcious mind changing my sentence structure, because it is involved with the keyboard. At least with certain types of writing, but using voice dictation really works best for fully utilizing the unconcious mind in the writing process -- but Linux does not have it. And these new Lenovos -- no, I do not like at all the new key boards. So what will be the new computer that replaces the old Thinkpads as the best? I don't know. I wish I did. Why can't computer people just leave a great keyboard alone? That's just he way life is, I guess.

Linux runs great on a Thinkpad, even at 2GB RAM. However, now I am using a T61, so I wonder what if I had a wireless n card. I have a wireless n USB adapter that worked great on Linux Mint 11 -- but I lost interest in the OS, as I just like Ubuntu better (My gosh, I'm used to Unity -- but does wireless work as well on 12.04? Maybe not. Chromium has its problems.) However, ndiswrapper does not work on the adapter with Ubuntu 12.04. However, this adapter has a disc with a Linux driver. And with the attachment are the simple instructions. Did I say simple? I'm just glad I can install google earth and ms core fonts. But I can't install a Gentium font so that it works with my printer. Alas, there are still reasons to have Windows.

My question is -- can just an average person do this? I mean, I can design a web site and install a virtual server... but... should I be able to understand this adapter driver stuff well enough to actually do it? Hmmm... is it OK for non-engineers to be here?

Maybe, I should just buy another n adapter that works out of the box. But how do I know about them?