[clue] VMWare question (and VMware Server EOL)

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Sun Nov 4 13:09:02 MST 2012

Jim:

I have not had "hands on" with ESX/ESXi5 so I will remark on ESX/ESXi4.

Yes, there is the VMware "vendor lock in" angle vs. KVM is Open Source (under RedHat) and community oriented.  ESXi is CLI oriented and if you need a GUI, you have to go with (and pay for) the vSphere line which required a Microsoft Windows based client as a host.  There was also a limitation of ESXi on CPUs and RAM that can be on the "bare metal" as well as per virtual machine.  VMware will only support certain guest OS's as well, so there is that potential issues of being further vendor locked in there as well.

With KVM one can go for CLI (I like "virsh" personally) or GUI oriented.  No limitations on the CPUs or RAM amounts for the guests save what the "bare metal" can have.  Various ways to configure the hard disks to mimic the VMware's methodology.  Same with vMotion and the power management (which require ESX or vSphere level licenses).  No lock in with various guest distributions, however those with support (i.e., Microsoft) will not always support their systems as guest, save SUSE and RHEL on the "bare metal" are two exceptions I recall where support is available.

In the end, the cost benefit and effectiveness of being able to do the pretty much the same tasks that ESX/vSphere + additional modules can provide using KVM with some proper scripts and planning weigh more towards KVM in my book.

Just my $0.02.

--- Crawford
PS: I receive this list in Digest format.  Pardon the delays in responding in advance.

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court
Westminster, CO 80031 USA
voice:  +1.303.604.2550
web:    http://www.linux-etc.com

Please do not print this email unless it is absolutely necessary.  Be friendly to the environment by saving paper.