[clue] VMWare question (and VMware Server EOL)

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Thu Nov 8 11:46:45 MST 2012

adam bultman wrote:
> On 11/08/2012 09:15 AM, Jim Ockers wrote:
>
>> That said, the VMDKs for startup disks do need to be on a VMFS5 (or
>> VMFS3) formatted datastore. The secondary/tertiary disks (which in our
>> case are individual iSCSI targets) can be formatted however the guest
>> OS wants, because the block device is passed directly through from the
>> ESX iSCSI initiator into the guest OS as a plain disk, which it can
>> format however it wants.
>>
> Huh?  Can you define "startup disk?"  Are you referring to the HDD that
> the server and ESXi boots from, or the VM?  VMs can boot from whatever
> they want; but ESXi can PXE boot, if you set them up to.

The ESX server boots from whatever it wants, of course.

We find it's most convenient for VMs to boot from a "startup disk" which
is located on a VMware datastore and is typically a VMDK. Yes there are
lots of other alternatives, but what I was getting at is that it is most
convenient for VMs to boot from a VMDK on a VMFS datastore.
>> The workflow for moving a VM between ESX servers manually is pretty
>> easy and quick, since all our storage and all VMware datastores are on
>> iSCSI targets from an OpenFiler. We haven't invested in the vMotion
>> wizzy stuff that lets you migrate VMs without shutting them down,
>> because we don't feel we need it at this point.
>>

> vMotion is snazzy.  We have an Enterprise Plus license, and I just
> migrated our VMs (280+) from our older, HP blade infrastructure (40+
> blades, two locations) to newer Cisco UCS infrastructure (16 blades, two
> locations) by simply vmotioning them over.  And host profiles make
> provisioning new ESXi hosts a breeze in comparison.

I guess you know a lot more about this than I do. One thing I noticed is
that in our environment we have 5 different networks (IP address ranges)
and our ESX servers participate in those (so that VMs have access to
them). When moving VMs I find I have to re-choose the VM Network from
the connections picklist because they may be in different orders and
have different network names between different servers. I guess if you
have vMotion then you have to have the discipline to cable each ESX
server the same and also name the networks the same on each ESX host? I
was wondering how you make sure the network connections work the same
from one ESX server to another.

--
Jim Ockers, P.E., P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: http://www.ockers.net/