[clue] Low power servers.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Nov 8 14:04:19 MST 2012

So I want to replace the old dual-PIII server I have with something that uses less power.  A
freedombox would be nice :-)

The server runs Debian for mail (exim, but maybe postfix in the future), mailman, apache, twiki
(changing to something else), ssh, and not much else.

Can a raspberry Pi do that?  I thought they were underpowered but someone mentioned using one as a
file server so maybe it would be good enough.  My server certainly doesn't do much.

I think I'd prefer an Alix board to a Sheeva/Guru Plug but I also think the Pi is cheaper.

I don't need much beyond 100Mb Ethernet and a way to connect a hard drive (USB2 at least, though
something faster like SATA or USB3 might be nice--or may not matter if USB2 can keep up with the
network).

Anyone doing real work with a <10w server?

Thanks!