[clue] Requesting more installation help

M Paul Webb hsechmvt at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 20 15:59:39 MST 2012

For anyone who is curious, after my inquiries, I met with my old friend yesterday and figured out how to install Linux as a dual boot on his laptop. After I had created an unallocated space using Easeus, it was indicated as unusable by the Ubuntu 12.04 installation disc.

The disk was then set up as set out below, with four primary partitions and one unallocated space as logical. I was advised to make the unallocated space an extended partition. I then noticed my laptop had such an extended partition with the ext4 and swap, but the installation disk had just made the partitions without my knowing it.

So, using Easeus, I converted the Recovery partition and HP_Tools partition from primary to logical. Then, I put in the installation disc and restarted. On clicking installation, I now had the option of installing beside Windows, and the disk just automatically made an extended partition with ext 4 and swap. It was easy, and I still don't know how to make the extended partition myself, but that is OK.

Thanks for the help David and Charles. Your advice pointed me in the right direction, and I got the solution.  Now I'll put something on the internet about it to help others -- maybe, next week. So I guess soon, all those other guys at McDonalds will want to install Linux too. That would be nice, and I can always send e-mails here for help.

*: System NTFS 199 MB
C:        NTFS 94.39 GB
* unallocated
D: Recovery NFTS 17.35 GB