[clue] [tech] Filesystem corruption with VMWare iSCSI initiator and block device translation

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Nov 20 22:46:37 MST 2012

Jim Ockers wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone on this list had any ideas or wild speculation about why using the VMWare
> iSCSI initiator and giving the iSCSI target to the OS as a raw mapped LUN would cause filesystem
> corruption, whereas the other 2 options are both trouble-free? Is there some good reason why the raw
> mapped LUN approach is not recommended? Is it only bad for iSCSI or is it also bad for fiber channel
> etc?

I don't have any particular ideas since I don't know much about iSCSI or the other layers involved.

I'm sure you looked at the VMware lists/forums/whatever.  You might try asking there.  (You'd ask
the support people first but I'm assuming you don't have any.)  This seems like the kind of question
that gets the "we asked support and they said don't do it that way" answer.  Or which patch fixes
the bug, or which setting has to be changed in your config.

Good luck, it would be interesting to know what the issue is.