[clue] Suggesting a New Approach

Jason Friedman jason at powerpull.net
Wed Nov 21 21:47:56 MST 2012

> My recent first time experience of installing Ubuntu on someone else's
> computer, (which was the very first time such an installation was not simple
> for me), and the manner in which Charles Burton offered to be an in-person
> backup, if necessary, has led me to believe that Denver's Linux User Group
> should consider an entirely new structure and approach for replacing or
> augmenting Installfests. This approach will take some time to develop, but
> it has advantages.
>
> Currently, Installfests are at two locations, north and south, which are
> still a long distance of travel for a lot of people interested in trying
> Linux (as well as myself), and held at each location only every other month,
> which is not necessarily convenient timing for everyone. The environment at
> an Installfest of a lot of computer professionals and geeks can actually be
> intimidating for many people; and the cost of the gas to travel to the
> location, or having pizza and drinks can actually be a prohibitive element
> for some. And the Installfests require a heavy commitment and burden for at
> least a few members of the group.
>
> I think instead of Installfests, or in addition to, a network of installers
> should be set up. An installer is group member who will commit to meet with
> someone for an installation at least one time a week, or even up to one time
> every six weeks. He/she will be a trained computer person, or an advanced
> computer user, or someone the group trains. He/she will find locations near
> his/her residence with a good internet connection for installations. The
> group will put out public information that they will help on installations.
> When a person contacts the group, the closest installer will be connected
> with him/her to arrange a meeting. Then, the installation is accomplished or
> an assessment is made on what additional information and help may be
> necessary to accomplish the installation. If the installation is complicated
> due to unique factors, the installer gets additional help from more advanced
> group members, and another meeting is set to finish the installation.
>
> Perhaps, due to possible meeting locations, at first this approach will only
> work with laptops. But more and more people are using laptops. There is a
> great computer connection at the new Wendy's near my house, and the local
> library has meeting rooms and a connection, but it only really works on the
> second floor.
>
> Also, after Linux is installed for someone, it can take weeks for a new user
> to learn how to use the OS, and this may result in his/her just giving up.
> Thus, I think a video should be made on the very simple basics that can be
> put on a disc or the computer with the installation that the new user can
> review – or at least a link should be found for a YouTube video. Also, the
> installer should offer to have a follow up meeting with the new user to go
> over how to navigate the OS.

> [...]

Good ideas, Paul, especially the Youtube video.

A parallel thought:  what about a virtual installfest?  New users
could sign up for 30 minute slots throughout the day of the
installfest and would join a telephone conference with experts
standing by.  In the weeks before the appointed time the new user
would be asked to gather information about the upcoming installation:
what kind of hardware, intended use for the system, etc.  The
information could be gathered on a form and distributed to the experts
before the installfest.  If the new user does not have a preferred
distribution the experts could recommend one.  If the experts need not
attend in person, and need not be available the entire day, perhaps
they could be scheduled more frequently than the current schedule.