[clue] 17" Linux-based laptop

Wed Oct 10 09:01:27 MDT 2012

Hardware vendors and software vendors are in business to make great products AND make a living. So, when you're spending, be aware that they're watching.

Id no longer makes products for Linux, because a whole bunch of people bought the Windows version of DOOM3 and downloaded the Linux binary for free, thereby obscuring their desire for a great game on Linux. Id can no longer justify the effort of creating the Linux port.

Fortunately, Valve is making their first foray into Linux-land, and hopefully, we'll have gotten smarter, enough to actually be careful about how our "dollar-votes" get registered.

So, I will continue to buy every Humble Bundle, attribute my purchase to Linux, and pay more than the average when I do. And I'll buy L4D2 on Steam on Linux, the day it gets released.

And, I will only buy Linux-based computers from now on, rather than OSX or Windows-based, so that I can be sure all my hardware will "just work", and my vendor will know that I want Linux.

All that to say this ... I want to source a Linux workstation from a reputable vendor, so I can request it at work: Why is this so damned hard?

System 76 - Bonobo - gone
Zareason - Verix - gone
Dell - M6700 - Rumor appears to be unfounded

Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast
RHCE Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 Ubuntu
Mobile 720-333-LANS(5267)

This is a good time for a r3VOLution.