[clue] low overhead distros?

Mike Bean beandaemon at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 13:28:02 MDT 2012

I have an old Dell Studio 1558 that's starting to get a bit long in the
tooth, it's developing heat problems and shuts down when it overheats.
What research I've done into the problem suggests that the more recent
linux kernel versions can cause some overheating issues, but the suggested
BIOS update didn't seem to help much. For now, I'm taking the other advice
I was given which is simply to downgrade. I can run Mint9 and still get
upgrades through april - figure 6 months, give or take, but I suppose I
should consider long term options.  A friend of mine suggested bodhi linux,
I thought I'd ping the clue mailing list and ask for suggestions.

If it comes right down to it, I may just have to disassemble it completely
and see if one or more of the fans copped out.  Oddly, I can leave it
running for weeks on a laptop cooling pad, but set it on any kind of a flat
surface, desk, and it probably won't make it two hours without
overheating.  Go fig.