[clue] scp help?

Mike Bean beandaemon at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 10:11:38 MDT 2012

Hi guys, I'm hoping you can help me understand what I'm doing wrong.  At my
job we usually mostly CentOS and certificates to authenticate instead of
passwords.

My laptop is linux Mint 12, and for the most part I have no problem getting
where I need to go to get my work done.

it's just sudo ssh -i (path to my cert) -l (mylogin) (some destination
server)

But every so often, I need to SCP a file up to one of the servers.

I've tried reading the man pages, and if I'm not totally mistaken -i should
do it, but when I try

scp (some file) -i [path to my cert] mylogin:someserver (destination
directly on some server)

it usually prompts me for a password, which, frankly, I don't have.

Just in talking with my co-workers: my SSH config and agent-forwarding
usually comes up
so here's my ~/.ssh/config

Host *
        Protocol                2
        User                    mylogin
        Compression             yes
        ServerAliveInterval     30

ForwardAgent yes

In my research, I've even tried tweaking my /etc/ssh_config file, to
include a line to my identity file, and change ForwardAgent to yes. To make
things even more confusing, when I try to restart ssh I inevitably get some
variant of ssh is not a recognized service or that /etc/initd/ssh start is
not a recognized command.

So for the life of me, I was having difficulty believing THAT or I wouldn't
be able to SSH in the first place.  So basically, color me confused!