[clue] Website and git.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Sep 17 23:15:46 MDT 2012

tl;dr: git is cool and the CLUE web site could go up on gitorious soon.  Linus is funny and I'd like
to hear about your experience.

So I started playing with git.  Finally.

I saw http://blogs.gnome.org/woody/2012/09/15/manage-your-website-through-git/ and thought, "yeah, I
want to do something like that."  Of course there are lots of posts like that and what I want isn't
terribly close to what that guy did.

I've copied the CLUE CVS repository and put it in git.  cvs2git worked pretty well once you get past
the command line you need.

I also set up a gitorious account for CLUE.  I probably could have set up my own account, and
perhaps a team for CLUE, but I didn't find a page to tell me what all the options were ahead of
time.  But it seems flexible enough that we can redo anything we care to.

I didn't enable the wiki.  I'd like a wiki for this but I don't want to make content that's locked
up somewhere.  Anyone know how easy it is to pull all your wiki data out of gitorious?  (It should
be based on git so it should just be a clone away.  That's how joey did it http://ikiwiki.info/)

So pretty quickly now I could upload the code and you all could have it.  Then I could set the
server's publish script to pull from gitorious rather than CVS.  Then updates could all be done with
pulls.

The current process is:

log in to CLUE, edit, commit, publish (requires sudo or admin access)

The new process would be:

edit (in your git), commit, push changes to gitorious (requires permission), pull changes to CLUE
(requires permission)

There are 2 big wins even though it looks like the new process is harder.  First, you can have the
code without having to log in to CLUE.  Second, the permissions required are simply putting your ssh
key in the right place (then we'll get monkeysphere and you'll wonder what kind of crack we were
on). ;-)

There is one hold up.  I've changed the one password that's in the repository.  The code is under a
suitable license, although we might want to add copyright statements to the files eventually.  But
there are some pages with contact info for people and I want to ask them before I publish their
(years old) phone numbers where you can get them.  But I should get to that eventually.

It's been fun to get into git and gitorious.  And I watched Linus's Google talk on git.  It cracks
me up how blunt he is.

I'd like to hear any thoughts you have about this project or experiences doing similar things.

Thanks!