[clue] CenturyLink DSL Service - Need Assistance w/ Public Address Space (NW Configuration)

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Sep 25 19:45:52 MDT 2012

Jug Knot wrote:
> I'm looking for a SoHo NW person who can help me sort out a Public Address
> Space (server) + SoHo Wireless NW (192.168.x.x) space behind a CenturyLink
> DSL Modem (Zyxel PK5000z) with residential Internet service.
>
> I've installed a Cisco Linksys (E1200) router and my 1st attempt to set the
> DSL modem in 'Transparent Bridging Mode' dropped the network for about 2
> hours today.

Why do you want bridging mode?  (Just curious.)

Do you have any idea what wasn't working?

Do you have any directions on how to set up the modem to bridge?  (I've sort of been under the
impression that it might require a change on the CL end but Charles's answer seems to indicate
otherwise.)

So roughly the router will have to have the public IP assigned to its external interface.  The modem
should tell you what that is, or maybe traceroute, or one of those "your IP is" web pages.

The internal side of the router will have to be the 192... network (it needs an IP there that will
be the gateway for all the internal machines).

The router will have to do NAT, like the modem is now.

Does that help at all?