[clue] Speedbump (Subnet Mask Problem): CenturyLink DSL Service - Need Assistance w/ Public Address Space (NW Configuration)

Jug Knot jugknot at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 12:52:01 MDT 2012

List -

I received several good responses to my 1st message (below).  I was
successful in moving the CL DSL
modem by establishing the PPPoE credentials on the LinksSys 1200E router.
No problem.

The next speedbump appears to be a limitation from both the Service
Provider (CL) and the router
manufacturer.   In acquiring a Static IP address from CL, they provide a
Class A address and a
Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.255.    Turns out thats a showstopper for Cisco
SoHo (Linksys) equipment<http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/Subnet-mask-limitation/td-p/304093>
.

Bummer.  For a NW-person like myself who has built SoHo Web Services on
several past lifetimes, this
sux.   Not sure if I'll find the same issue with other comparable SoHo NW
manufacturers (Belkin, D-Link, etc.).  At
least I have 30 days to dink with this Cisco Router before taking to back
to MicroCenter.

Tim (aka jugknot).