[clue] imap servers.

Aaron D. Johnson adj at fnord.greeley.co.us
Wed Aug 28 21:56:32 MDT 2013

David L. Anselmi writes:
> Anyone have a particular imap sever you like?
>
> It's been rather quiet on the list lately.  Did everyone leave or is
> it just me? :-)

I'm got dovecot in use at home.  It works.  Supports Maildir and mbox
(and probably a bunch of other) mailbox formats simultaneously.  I
can't remember my reason for choosing it initially.  It was probably a
combination of supporting IMAPS out of the box and not seeming like it
was written by someone in the qmail crowd.

The only thing I have accessing it right now is squirrelmail.  But
that works fine.

I run Debian whenever possible.  My experience with Dovecot is that
new major versions (as when upgrading from Debian 5.0 to 6.0 to 7.0)
will likely require tweaking your dovecot config file.  A lot.  I
spent 90 minutes getting dovecot to work again this weekend after a
Debian 6 to Debian 7 upgrade.  The old config file didn't work and the
new config file generated by the conversion tool didn't actually
enable the IMAP server component.  It was pretty aggravating.  A new
install probably would've been fine.

Hope this helps.

- Aaron