[clue] Buying pi.

Vincent Randal vtrandal at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 4 11:58:59 MST 2013

I'm very interested in Raspberry Pi, but I could not confirm all the source code and tool chain were available to build the OS and device drivers. I'm a "retired" firmware developer and I must have all the source code or write my own. It's in my blood. But I learned Pi is not an open system in that Broadcom (I think?) will not release all the documentation on the hardware (SOC?). Furthermore, device drivers are available as proprietary binaries only like in Android et al. I hope I don't scare anyone off except maybe myself. Heck, it's so cheap I should just get one and hack away to whatever extent possible.

BTW: The reason I wanted Pi was to turn my children's TV's (with HDMI) into computers with internet access, but I'm not sure about content providers NetFlix (for kids) being available on Linux(?).