[clue] Can't connect to Webmin

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Feb 9 17:54:34 MST 2013

foo7775 at comcast.net wrote:

> I am able to SSH from the Win7 desktop to the CentOS VM using PuTTY, login&  all other functions
> behave as expected;

Did you use the same host name for SSH and HTTP (obviously for HTTP you have to specify the port
correctly too)?

> PORT STATE SERVICE VERSION
> 10000/tcp open http MiniServ 1.620 (Webmin httpd)
> |_http-favicon: Unknown favicon MD5: 9A2006C267DE04E262669D821B57EAD1
> |_http-git: 0
> |_http-methods: No Allow or Public header in OPTIONS response (status code 200)
> | http-robots.txt: 1 disallowed entry
> |_/
> |_http-title: Login to Webmin
> | ndmp-version:
> |_ ERROR: Failed to get host information from server
>
> To *me*, it still feels like there's a firewall in the mix somewhere (although the 'http-title:
> Login to Webmin' output above would *seem* to argue against that). Since I'm not too familiar
> with iptables, is it possible that it's still affecting the situation? What am I
> forgetting/overlooking?

You could still have iptables rules active (stopping the service doesn't necessarily unblock all the
ports).  But I doubt it.  See what telnet tells you if you do a get from the Windows 7 box.