[clue] Slow Pi installs.

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Feb 26 16:39:36 MST 2013

On Tue, 2013-02-26 at 14:52 -0700, Mike Paige wrote:
> I know this is a bit different than what you're going for, but I
> wanted a RPi to run XMBC on so I installed a Raspbmc image on mine.

That's based on Raspbian.  I haven't checked if he removed extra
components like X or desktop stuff.  XBMC itself starts on boot and runs
on the framebuffer, so X and a desktop are not needed.

>   It installed relatively quickly, easily, and it works shockingly
> well -- plays 1080p H.264 videos without a hitch.  I even use my TV
> remote to control it (through CEC, default settings), or I can connect
> a USB mouse/keyboard. So if you wanted to check out your RPi's video
> handling capabilities, or just make sure your RPi is working I'd
> highly recommend that image.

It does come up nicely but I haven't actually used it to watch anything.
I was more interested in *how* he did it vs what it does.  I've been
using his XBMC tree for my own XBMCbox package.  His configs for
building XBMC are a little messy and he does his builds under a chrooted
environment, so I tried to clean that up.

Anyway, he's got it working and I don't.  At least not completely.  Yet.

--
Michael J. Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>