[clue] Fwd: materials on SSL?

Mike Bean beandaemon at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 10:26:07 MDT 2013

OK, here's what I'm really struggling with.  I'm trying to get SSL going on
a redhat-3 box.   I've done enough research to know it's not working
because SSL can't find the trusted cert.  I figured out that openssl won't
trust a self-signed certificate unless you install it a specific directory
and link the hash.

All of which, can, at least on paper, be verified by running 'openssl
verify cert.file'

My question is this.   Does your certificate authority (CA) cert, in and of
itself have to be trusted as well? What about the key?

# openssl verify /etc/pki/tls/myca.crt
/etc/pki/tls/myca.crt: CN = XXXXXXXXXXXX, emailAddress =
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
error 18 at 0 depth lookup:self signed certificate