[clue] ownCloud

marcus hall marcus at tuells.org
Mon Jun 3 09:02:26 MDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 03, 2013 at 02:45:30PM +0000, dennisjperkins at comcast.net wrote:
> I remember some discussion about clouds last year. Has anyone tried ownCloud?

I've been using it for a little while (9 months or so).

I had been using funambol to synchronize our phone address books and
calendars previously, mostly because SyncML was the only common protocol
between our devices.  When my wife upgraded to an Android phone, we switched
to using CalDAV and CardDAV through owncloud to sync.  It also supports
synchronizing a directory of files as well (actually the primary focus),
which we are starting to make use of.

It seems to be pretty simple to set up and adminster.  I am running it under
apache.

There is a web based client that seems to be pretty usable, and things like
evolution and thunderbird seem to work with it.

marcus hall
marcus at tuells.org