[clue] Email server issues

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Sat Mar 30 12:35:54 MDT 2013

Hi,

What do the mail logs say (usually /var/log/maillog) about what's
happening to messages?  Is there mail in the mail queue?  Maybe the
process that is supposed to process queued mail stopped for some reason,
and mail is piling up in the queue and not being delivered.  Is the
system load average (as shown by "uptime" really high?  Sometimes mail
won't be de-queued and processed if the server load averages are too high.

Maybe try to send a message from the local system to make sure that mail
can be delivered locally:

1. Create an email text file (say, email.txt) that contains the To
e-mail address that apparently doesn't work.