[clue] troubleshooting nfs mounts?

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Fri May 3 13:53:21 MDT 2013

Hi Mike,

What does it mean "behind a 1GB router" ?  Please describe the network
topology in more detail.  Is the NAS in a different subnet than the
client?  What kind of router is it?

What is the bandwidth utilization on the switch ports for the client &
server?  Any errors reported in the switch event log?  Any errors
reported in the router event log?  What is the CPU load/usage on this
"1GB router"?

When you un-tar the tarball from the NAS, what are you writing the
result to?  Can you try writing it to /dev/null and see if it's any
faster?  It would be faster if the problem was slowness in the
filesystem/device that you were writing the un-tarred files to.

Jim

--
Jim Ockers, P.E., P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: http://www.ockers.net/