[clue] networking Q

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Nov 12 12:06:48 MST 2013

On Tue, 2013-11-12 at 10:51 -0700, Mike Bean wrote:
> anything that I recognize, but the only logical option that makes any
> sense at all, is that whatever process RHEL uses to start/configure
> the network without manual intervention is broken somehow.

WAG: manual run is post-init processes (systemd).  Auto run is while
init processes are running.  Therefore, auto process is hung waiting on
some other init process while manual process doesn't have to wait on
that.  The auto process waits and never gets notified that what its
waiting on has completed (or perhaps the waiting prevents it from
completing).  The auto process has a chicken-n-egg problem.

Question is:  what is network startup waiting on during init process?

--
Michael J. Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>