[clue] samba performance tuning?

Mike Bean beandaemon at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 15:26:12 MDT 2013

At the risk of being really blunt, CLUE has always given me good advice in
the past, so I thought I'd ask for some pointers.  We have a situation at
work where some of our code monkeys are complaining about the performance
on a samba share mounted on a RHEL6.1 server;  I'm trying to get a path out
of them (the monkeys) so I can reproduce the issue, but in the meantime
we're not seeing an appreciable performance problem or evidence of any
large errors.   We're thinking it's going to come down to Samba performance
tuning, and wouldn't you know, I know exactly spit and nothing about Samba
performance tuning.

Prayed at the google altar, as usual, and unless my questing has served me
poorly, the biggest gains are to be had in TCP_NODELAY, which was already
in our conf.

Here's our smb.conf:

# Global parameters
[global]
        socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=65536
SO_SNDBUF=65535
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        log level = 2
        log file = /var/log/samba.log.%m
        guest account = admin
        security = share
        kernel oplocks = no
        dead time = 15                     # Default is 0
        getwd cache = yes
        lpq cache = 30

[dqm_share]
   comment = Some Share
   path = /xxxx/yyyyyyyyyyyy
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = no
   create mask = 0664
   directory mask = 0775
#  strict locking = no                  #commented out to test its effects

As I see it, there's not much tuning I can do without benchmarking the
share and that's a whole new can of worms;  so I thought I'd solicit
suggestions/advice from CLUE members willing to give it.

thanks,

Mike Bean