[clue] Business and Software Libre

Wed Dec 10 09:19:55 MST 2014

I put this on Facebook, but then I thought that someone here probably has a good idea.

Should a business that receives great value from software libre, give money to the makers? If so, how much and to whom?

Let's say it's time to plan some spending. Non-free software costs a certain amount per licensed system, per year, and all Jo(e) Manager has to do is decide from whom (s)he will buy the software. But what about software libre / free software? How much should be given to the debian team, samba team, apache team, postgresql team, and so on? A business just wants to "pay the bill", they don't want to have to be expert. I can find no simple answer, but with no decision made, these wonderful contributors get nothing, and that doesn't seem right, either.

Do you have ideas? How have you addressed this with your managers or in your business?

Teacher, Engineer, Evangelist
RHCE+Satellite CCAH Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 UbuntuCP NovellCLA
Mobile 720-333-LANS(5267)
http://sofree.us

This is a good time for a r3VOLution.