[clue] Antifeatures.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Feb 5 11:59:03 MST 2014

Here's a description of anitfeatures: http://www.linux.it/~ema/2014/01/29/antifeatures-and-antibugs/

I listened to the referenced talk by Mako a while back and I had opportunity to call something an
antifeature this week (I didn't because it was the wrong audience).

But I think it's a useful idea and especially the point that they can't exist in Free Software.  So
I wanted to share.

My daughter had to do a project for film class and she's unhappy she had to use Linux (she only has
access to Windows at the library and I don't think they have the free video editor installed).  Her
teacher eventually gave her the name of a Free video editor, with a gratuitous description of Linux
users as "virus writers", which she hated.  (Never mind that she did zero research and had no
instruction on what is available or how to use it, for any platform.  You don't always learn what
you expect from a class.)

So when she eventually starts using something proprietary I'll be quick to point out the
antifeatures and that they can't exist on good ol' Linux.

Dave

P.S. So as I write this, especially the digressions, I wonder if it would be better on a blog than
on the list.  But I'm planning to install ikiwiki to collect my notes so maybe I'll have a blog
shortly too.