[clue] Greyhole

dennisjperkins at comcast.net dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Mon Jan 6 12:52:38 MST 2014

Has anyone heard of or used Greyhole? Amahi and Openmediavault have it. It uses Samba to create a storage pool of disks. Apparently Windows Home Server used to have a storage pool too.

I'm not sure what advantage it has over RAID, unless the ability to have more than two copies is important.. You can configure it to make 1 or more copies of files that have been copied into landing zones (shares). The files are copied onto one or more drives, depending on the configuration settings, and the original files in the landing zones are replaced with links. If a drive crashes, you can still get to the files on other drives.

MySQL is also used. That seems overly complicated but I don't know enough about how Greyhole works to know why it's needed. Maybe transaction logs? Maybe that's how it deals with files that have been deleted, moved or renamed.

It also seems odd that it uses Samba. Why not make it lower level? Then Samba or NFS could use it.

I have not tried it. Maybe I'll do so with OMV.