[clue] Greyhole

Chris Fedde chris at fedde.us
Mon Jan 6 18:51:54 MST 2014

Raid 1 and raid10 are your only real choices when you have less than say 10
drives.  Raid 5 is considered unsafe for drives beyond 1T each because the
probability and consequence of a second drive failure during recovery.  You
need at least dual parity (Raid6).  Spares make the window to recovery a
little better but still your monitoring has to be reliable so that you
notice first drive failure before second drive failure.  At raid6 you have
a two drive penalty and with a spare it is a total of 3 drives overhead.

Here is a tool that covers most of the planning part:
https://www.icc-usa.com/raid-calculator

Of course raid does not protect you from the fat finger failure.  The raid
sub system will accurately and quickly remove the wrong thing any time I
ask it to.  For that reason on home systems I tend to go for two separate
file systems and a simple cron based copy from one to the other.  At least
then I can get back to yesterday's state easily enough.

BTW have you looked over the Drobo products? http://www.drobo.com/