[clue] "Tee" copy??

foo7775 at comcast.net foo7775 at comcast.net
Fri May 30 21:27:18 MDT 2014

Hey, I think that most of us are familiar with the 'tee' command, which allows the user to "split" a single input into two output streams. I was asked yesterday if there was a way to do the same thing with files that are being copied,and I had to admit that I had no idea, I'd never considered that before.

I thought I'd take just a minute to ask the group if anyone knows of a way to copy an arbitrary "file (or group of files, some of which might be compiled binaries, etc.)" from a single source to two separate destinations simultaneously. I'd *briefly* considered something like

"cat sourcefile | tee DEST1 DEST2"

since within *NIX everything's a file, but then figured that compiled binaries *might* cause problems.

Not a really big deal if it's not easily possible, but the question kind of intrigued me, & I figure I might learn something cool... ;-)

Thanks guys!

T.