[clue] SMTP Question

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Sat Oct 18 20:01:11 MDT 2014

Does anybody else here run their own SMTP server on Comcast Business by
chance? I'm currently running CentOS 6.X and have run my own mail server
for the past 20 years or so. I have never, ever had a problem with
people not able to get my emails. Over the last month, I've had many
cases of people not getting my emails anymore. The accounts are on
services including but not limited to:

Gmail
Hotmail
Yahoo
Random college mail servers

An example of a bounce back I got this evening:

... while talking to mx5.oit.ohio.edu.:
<<< 554-mx5.oit.ohio.edu
<<< 554 Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation. If you believe that this failure is in error, please contact the intended recipient via alternate means.
... while talking to mx1.oit.ohio.edu.:
<<< 554-mx1.oit.ohio.edu
<<< 554 Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation. If you believe that this failure is in error, please contact the intended recipient via alternate means.
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

I've checked, and my mail server is NOT listed on any spam blacklists. I
now have to help my own mother who uses gmail get my email by directing
her to go to her junk folder and click "This is not junk" on my emails.
I can't tell you how much that frustrates me. The only reason I can
think that this is happening is because I use Comcast Business for my
ISP. Besides switching ISPs, is there anything I can do?