[clue] Downtime.

Mike Nolte obiwanmikenolte at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 11:05:58 MDT 2014

Hahaha word, Mr. Fedde.  Nagios is awesome at what it does, but the
configuration is pretty daunting.  The default installation comes with a
ton of examples which, while ultimately edifying, make it pretty hard to
figure out where to start.  Nagios is necessarily very flexible, but that
flexibility also leads to all kinds of bizarre configurations and
functionality.  If you've ever looked at an unfamiliar Nagios installation,
you've almost definitely wondered what drug addict set it up, and I'm sure
that anyone who looks at mine thinks the same.

It would have been really nice to have had a minimal configuration, so I
made one for CentOS that check's cluedenver.org for 'Who is CLUE?' every 15
and e-mails Dave if it can't find the string (after retrying and failing 1
minute later).  It's here <http://noltechinc.com/files/nagios-cfg.tgz>.
 Dave, you can thank me later, when everyone on this list adds this
configuration to a server, forgets about it, and bombards you when the
site's down.

Another great thing to have known about when I first started using Nagios
is "nagios -v /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg".  It has extremely useful error
messages, including that the permissions are wrong on the attached
configuration (chown -R root:nagios /etc/nagios/objects && service nagios
restart).