[clue] CentOS new user experience.

crichey at gmail.com crichey at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 09:03:16 MST 2015

I would not qualify to comment on "new user" experience with CentOS, since I have been a CentOS user off and on since the earl days of the district (long pre-dating the general agreement with Redhat). I haven't visited the website often, but I always managed to download what I needed.

As regards what you get from a Redhat subscription, until this year I was routinely disappointed. The usual response to a query was "we don't support that!" My company now requires Redhat registration for all new servers. I'm working on a revamp of our ldap systems that employs the newer sssd interface created by Redhat as a replacement for the older, crappy, poorly maintained methods of authentication. When I encountered a problem with the controls to restrict access to hosts for individual ldap accounts, I opened a low-priority case with Redhat for sssd. To my amazement, I got a prompt response from Redhat support with exact instructions how to use the correct (very poorly documented) parameters to solve my problem.

All of my experience with Redhat/CentOS has been with REL6 and earlier releases. Now that I have CentOS7 on my home system, I'm massively underwhelmed by the revamp of the admin controls. No longer can you rely on standard UNIX approaches to anything. It's very much like the latest Solaris release. Forget about anything you ever learned about administration.

Belated Happy Christmas and New Year's to all.
Sent from my iPhone