[clue] (Slightly OT) - This SNMP issue has me baffled

foo7775 at comcast.net foo7775 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 15 07:25:27 MDT 2015

Hey Mike, thanks for the reply. Yes, each of the three interfaces has an IP address.

And to answer your other questions:

When you say that you're connecting to B & C, how are you doing it? -- I've used netcat because it's quick & easy (& I'm familiar with the command syntax), but it occurred to me last night that netcat only creates the most-basic type of connection, it's useful for checking to see if a port is accessible, but *not* to confirm that the response is in the correct format.

Do you have any other machines that are bonded like this and are being successfully monitored by the server? -- Yes

How's the monitoring service trying to connect? -- It's using the standard SNMP queries (get & get-next are the ones that I saw in the packets).

Have you tried an snmpwalk against the monitored server, either locally or remotely?-- Yes, the monitoring admin has run the snmpwalk from his server - but your suggestion to run it locally is a very good one, I will be trying that first thing this morning.

Thanks again,

T.