[clue] (Slightly OT) - This SNMP issue has me baffled

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Jul 15 11:11:05 MDT 2015

foo7775 at comcast.net wrote:

> Now I'm not an expert with snoop or WireShark (yet!) but from what I can see, I have 34 packets
> that arrived at the 'B' interface of the Solaris server, each of which contains an SNMP
> 'get-request' for the same OID. When I remove the filter that shows only packets addressed to the
> 'B' interface, I can see that interface A receives packets with 'get-next-request'&  OIDs that
> are incrementing. I do *not* see any responses from the Solaris server to the monitoring server
> (for any interface) - the snoop command that I used is below:

Sorry to hear that you're stuck using Solaris.

You might want to figure out why you're not seeing the responses.  If you can get them it might help.

So since you're not seeing get-next-request to B, is there a chance that its responses aren't
getting to the monitoring server?  I guess snmpwalk from the local network would show them if it
works.  But maybe something is losing the replies along that path.

HTH,