[clue] seeking debugging advice

Mon Mar 9 11:09:46 MDT 2015

Save me the man. What are a and v and why do you like them?

-------- Original message --------
From: Chris Fedde <chris at fedde.us>
Date: 03/09/2015  10:51 AM  (GMT-07:00)
Subject: Re: [clue] seeking debugging advice

I typically use 'set' and put each of the switches on it's own line.  My bash script template includes:

    #!/bin/bash

    #set -x
    #set -v
    set -a
    set -e
    set -u

Then I comment and uncomment as needed.

On Sun, Mar 8, 2015 at 10:40 PM, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
David L. Willson wrote:

> I use eu always, and x when I'm having problems.

Yes, that's good.  u helps you catch typos in variable names (that otherwise just expand to nothing).

If you think there might be times when e stops your script and it shouldn't, you can always catch
the error return and do the right thing from there.  If you don't know what will cause an error or
you don't know what the right thing is then exiting (via the e) is probably your best choice.

FWIW

For information, account preferences, or to unsubscribe see: