[clue] Devops at work?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Sat Oct 31 10:53:59 MDT 2015

Anyone doing devops thing at work? Depending on what that may mean, of
course...there is of course more the mindset and the collaboration and
the processes and politics that may be updated or maybe completely
disrupted (possibly in very good ways), but I'm also interested in
specific technical/engineering practices. (*)

Things like "literate devops", for example:

http://www.howardism.org/Technical/Emacs/literate-devops.html

What about pipelines in Jenkins and tools like
Puppet/Chef/Docker/Vagrant/Ansible/Salt to provision systems and start
incorporating more development practices (such as SCM) within the wider
IT organization?

How do you use those things? Have they paid off? Have you been a "change
agent" pushing these sort of things to make your life better, or has it
come from an external force (i.e., part of the command-and-control
structure of a corporation) and "devops" means something quite different
to them?

I ask because I went to Denver BSides last year (and this year) and they
had a panel of people to talk about DevOps, but not nearly enough time
for all the questions they were getting from the audience. I got only
one question in, and it was just before lunch, so there was a hard stop.

(*) For instance, see here: http://theagileadmin.com/what-is-devops/
What "devops" means seems to be a very fluid definition, much like
"Agile" itself. There is definitely both engineering practices as well
as the "what is visible to management, especially non-technical
management" part within "Agile", especially Scrum, and that presents a
very real problem when trying to talk about these subjects.